Blog post

An Important Quote About Childhood and Growing Up

January 11, 2018

There’s a childhood-themed quote I wrote when I was 13 that I just recently looked back on.

Sometimes…maturity is not about throwing away your toys, it’s about how you play with them.

childhood quote inspirational helloconchita conchita
13-year-old Conchita’s photography

When I read this, I thought, “What was Conchita thinking when she decided to write this down?” Because there must be something that I was trying to say or explain if I took the time to make an artwork out of it. And of course, we all know quotes are deeper in meaning than what they seem to be written as. So don’t just think about toys.

13 is that sweet spot inbetween pre-teen and teenager, a time for the discovering-myself-train just started its engines. So let’s sneak into what was before a 13-year-old’s mind to break down the quote to find its purpose and meaning.

The concept of growing up

During that time, I might have experienced times when I was called “too childish” for whatever reason. “Grow up,” they would say. And all just because I still loved my stuffed-animals, sang about unicorns and cupcakes, and played with kids like they were my best friends. Let’s be real…I’m still like this.

Growing up and maturity is always stereotypically correlated to to leaving our childhood things and memories in the past and to grow up (note that I did not say actions because of course there are flaws in a child’s actions that we need to grow out of). Especially in today’s generations. Acting mature or what is perceived as mature by kids nowadays is the new way to be cool and trendy. I mean they can do what they want, all they want but sometimes they cross the border of what’s not okay. That’s a whole different topic though.

Cherish your childhood

To be honest, I feel sorry for the children who grew too fast mentally. The ones who spend too much time on their phones at young ages, ones who ignore their toys one day after purchasing them, ones who patronize kids younger than them, and the list goes on. All just to seem cooler to everyone.

If I say so myself, I had a satisfying childhood. I lived it as a child. No phones. No games. Instead, books, colored pencils, role-playing, and more.

Time passes by like lightning. One day we were still kids needing the help of our parents and the next, we’re adults helping our parents. That time is too precious to let a society change the way we hope to progress in life.

Naturally, there are things as a child we have to leave in the past like a habit of crying to get what we want or being grumpy in places you did not want to go to. But we don’t have to let go of our favorite toys, shows, friends, personalities, etc. We can keep that part of us as long as we want and no one should ever tell you to grow out of them. And if someone does, I want to assure you that there is nothing wrong with you. It’s none of their business in the first place to judge what is “growing up” for other people.

Back to the quote,

What I was trying to express is that maturity or growing up isn’t always about leaving your childhood behind but about how you express that piece of childhood. For example, I’ve always been a bright-and-cute-things lover and I express that in the way I dress. I may wear some cute prints, bright colors, or have a unique-shaped purse. Or maybe you love legos and now, you use the legos to help you design and create artwork of some sort.

helloconchita conchita fashion muslimah hijab

There are so many ways that you could keep the child in you for many years to come.

To wrap this up, I would like to emphasize a point I previously made: don’t let anyone who tells you that you’re too childish affect you. Continue on with your life the way you want to. They are in no position to judge who you are, what you do, and the things you love.

Thank you for following me through this short journey of trying to decipher a 13-year-old’s mind. What do you think about this issue of growing up and being told that someone is “too childish”?

40 Comments

• Raysa

January 11, 2018 at 11:55 am

Conchita I love your blog!!! It’s so inspiring and gives me a lot of motivation. Can’t wait for your upcoming blog posts <3
    Your number one fan xoxo
    -Raysa

January 11, 2018 at 12:01 pm

Thank you so much, Raysa!! 😭❤️❤️

• Edwin Prasetio

January 11, 2018 at 3:03 pm

Whenever someone is ready to leave his/her childhood for growing up threshold, one thing to keep is always be in Allah way forever. ..

• Tanvi Rastogi

January 12, 2018 at 6:38 pm

What a beautiful quote. I had not read it before … so true and profound. Also love your outfit. The colors are so pleasing.

❥ tanvii.com

January 12, 2018 at 6:39 pm

Thank you so much!

• Em

January 12, 2018 at 8:28 pm

I definitely think everyone should keep a childish part to themselves, it just makes things more fun! This was a wonderful post and I love your quote.

January 12, 2018 at 8:29 pm

Thank you!

• Marlene Wetch

January 12, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Isn’t it interesting to look back at our younger selves? I too have found some doodles and artwork, along with many diary entries and letters were written to no one. And being 13 is such a complicated age, where hormones are peaking and our little minds can not fully grasp it. Your quote, even at 13, was spot on.

January 12, 2018 at 10:06 pm

It really is interesting to reflect on who we were as children and things we might’ve kept or lost as we grow up. We learn so much about ourselves that way. And thank you so much!

• Rochella Neely

January 13, 2018 at 2:57 am

Conchita you were so insightful at 13. This is true our childhoods are a part of us as we mature it never completely goes away. We learn to mask parts to be accepted in the adult world.

January 13, 2018 at 7:31 am

Thank you so much!

• Cia Black

January 13, 2018 at 4:03 am

Love the quote, It is not one I’ve heard before. I adore the meaning that is behind it.

January 13, 2018 at 7:31 am

Thank you!

• Shubhada Bhide

January 13, 2018 at 1:54 pm

I love that quote and I totally agree with it. Childhood is a part of life that creates beautiful and crazy memories. By the way, You look beautiful in your outfit.

January 13, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Thank you so much!

• Elizabeth O

January 13, 2018 at 3:41 pm

That is such an awesome childhood quote and the meaning you want to share with us. I always remember my childhood memories.

January 13, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Thank you so much! As do I and I think we should cherish all of them that we have.

• Monique Elise

January 13, 2018 at 3:51 pm

This post is right on time. I agree with you your childhood is sacred and should be enjoyed. I feel so bad for kids today because they can’t fully enjoy theirs. Great post!

January 13, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Thank you so much! 💛

• Amanda

January 13, 2018 at 5:02 pm

I love this. Since I am a person who embraced her kid like behaviour, I agree we should not let others dictate what is cool and trendy. We should all embrace our childhood and remember to embrace what makes us who we are!

January 13, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Thank you so much! Yes that’s exactly what we should do. We can be and keep anything we want without having to be scared that people are judging. Because just like you said, that’s who we are and we should be proud.

• Beola Lawal

January 13, 2018 at 5:58 pm

I have never heard that quote before, but it does sound like a great one. It was really nice reading your post sis.

January 13, 2018 at 6:09 pm

Thank you!

• Mercy

January 13, 2018 at 9:32 pm

i cherish my childhood memories and if something from my childhood still makes me happy i don’t mind what people will say.

• Aditi

January 14, 2018 at 1:07 am

Very well said! Your 13 year old self was wise beyond its years. We all need to remember some simple truths- its easier to purge but so rewarding to deal with it in a positive way.

January 14, 2018 at 1:09 am

Thank you so much!

• Preet

January 14, 2018 at 6:06 am

What a beautiful quote! I like how you explained everything, I remember few incidents when called being too childish used to make me think so much. My husband says that to me sometimes now, but at the end, I feel good and nice about what and how I do things. Feeling that happiness without caring what others might think.

January 14, 2018 at 6:14 am

Thank you so much! That’s cool that you’ve found peace with yourself: you are proud of who you are. Because that’s what is so important!

• Dona

January 14, 2018 at 6:43 am

In my opinion, we need to preserve a portion of our childhood. It is a piece of our fabric. We lose something when we bury it completely. With all of the demands placed upon us as adults, it is helpful to have a piece of childhood tucked away so that we can run to.

• Jill

January 14, 2018 at 6:47 am

I can still remember my childhood as if it was just yesterday. I don’t know why my memory is like this but I have a hard time remembering important stuff, but childhood memories are so easy to look back to.

• Joanna

January 14, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Childhood is such a special time in anyone’s life and it should be cherished and keep for as long as possible. Indeed children want to mature too early these days, they get girlfriends and boyfriends at ages as little as 12 and they try to rebel. Which is such a shame, as later in life they will want to feel children again and just enjoy the simple life they had, but it will be too late.

January 15, 2018 at 9:08 am

I completely agree. Sometimes, we start to value our childhood only after it has passed. So to not have that sense of regret for our childhood, we should live as the children we are during those times.

• Luci

January 14, 2018 at 10:46 pm

I think that childhood goes by too fast. There should be at least a ten year grace period where you can still act childish but wouldn’t be frowned upon.

• Ana Ojha

January 15, 2018 at 5:17 am

I agree with you that we should never stop killing the child inside us! It is OK to be childish and enjoy little things in our lives. By the way, I absolutely loved your outfit and you nailed it!

January 15, 2018 at 9:06 am

Thank you!

• Karrie Frost

January 15, 2018 at 6:38 am

What a great quote! I love that it allows for a little bit of Peter Pan-ism in adults. (That ice cream purse by the way! **Swoon**)

January 15, 2018 at 9:06 am

Thank you so much!

• Amy

January 15, 2018 at 9:29 am

I, too, lament the simpler childhood of my youth! We rode bikes for hours with neighborhood friends, made our own fun outdoors, climbed, ran, etc. Nobody ran off to soccer, baseball, or their smart phones. Those were the days 🙂

• mj

January 15, 2018 at 9:41 am

Let’s admit us adults no matter how old we get, that childish part of us somehow comes out naturally in us even without noticing. Its part of our memory that will never be erased, as nature of mankind being childish once in our adult life is a normal thing!

• Acupofassamtea

January 23, 2018 at 5:52 pm

Love the quote. You are looking lovely in pastel.