Blog post

5 Tips to Do Homework for School Better

January 28, 2018

Homework? Homework.

For a lot of people- students- there is only about 5-6 more months of the 2017-2018 school year left. It’s always during this time that we start becoming a little…lazy. The end is so close yet so far. But there is no need to let grades drop, here are some tips to do homework better and get your school game on!

1 Keep your phone off and away during work time

Yes, we’ve all heard the tip to turn your phone off but, an even more better tip is to turn it off AND put it away somewhere far from your reach. This helps me a lot to stay focused on my work. Most teenagers are lazy and if the phone is far away, it’s less likely for us to want to get up from our study setting to get our phones.

After staying focused on the work at hand, our minds will start to just want to focus on getting the work done. The time to get our phones back is when we feel like we’ve done enough work and that’s different for everyone.

2 Keep a to-do/homework list

School workload can be overwhelming at times, there is so much to do and, it seems, there is too little time to do them all. That is why scheduling what you need to do is important. Fortunately, not all homework or projects are due on the same day and some can be easier than others. So, according to the due dates, listing out what you need to do every night can keep you very organized for the school year.

Being able to cross out what you’ve done can also be very uplifting and assure you that you can finish all the work that is given to you. All you had to do was start.

homework bando pink helloconchita conchita stickers watermelon school tips advice

3 Do the easiest things first

To add on to the second tip, schedule the easiest thing first. For example, if you have homework to define some vocabulary words and another to finish a precalculus worksheet, plan to do the vocabulary words first. By doing that, you can get your mind off of the small things in your to-do list and give more of your focus into the hardest works.

Most of the time the more challenging the work is, the more important it is in terms of use of understanding or skills. So, we tend to do them first to just get it done with. If our minds are clustered with the thoughts of other homework that we haven’t done, it’s unlikely we will get the most out of the challenging works.

4 Use your time well

Ever had those times when you just find yourself asking, “What have I been doing for the past __ minutes/hours/etc.?”, then you probably didn’t use your time well. Because time is so precious for students, for us that we need to use it well.

To do well in school, we must have good time management. Having good enough sleep, time to finish what we need to finish, start projects, etc. all requires careful time management. Giving one category too much or too little can take a toll on the others and most importantly, our health.

5 Start your work with a peaceful mind and determined heart

I am such an advocate about doing things with your heart because I believe it is so important. This tip isn’t only for students but for everyone. It is that important. How many time have you done something for the sake of getting it done? Then not being totally satisfied with what you have done? I’m sure we’ve all been through that at least once.

The key to not feel forced or overwhelmed when starting work is to have some goal in mind. Maybe it’s hoping to understand the math or concepts better or just as simple as hoping to get your grade up by finishing your project in time. Think about something that motivates you to keep going.

I hope these few, simple tips will help someone! If you are a student, I hope you can end your 2017-2018 school year well and all school years that are upcoming. If you’re not a student, I hope these tips can still benefit you in some way.

29 Comments

• Nazia Afreen

January 28, 2018 at 9:39 am

Useful and productive tips indeed!

• Tina Hogan Grant

January 28, 2018 at 11:19 am

Great list to keep students in check. It pays to be organized and making a list is a great advantage too.

• leena

January 28, 2018 at 11:40 am

I always have a problem getting my kids to do homework.These tips are so helpful!

• Brittany

January 28, 2018 at 5:11 pm

These are great tips, I think they work for any project not just homework!

1. helloconchita

January 28, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Thank you! Yes, these tips can be used for anything!

• Candy

January 28, 2018 at 6:01 pm

We are way past the homework stage around our home. Will show my daughter for her three kids.

• Valerie Buaquen

January 28, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Hi Conchita! 🙂

I was nominated for the 2018 Liebster Award by The Barefoot Backpackers.
    To continue the flow, I am nominating you also for this award. You may find my blog post about it here: https://valeriebuaquen.wordpress.com/2018/01/28/2018-leibster-award-nomination/

Sending hugs from the Philippines,

Valerie Buaquen
    valeriebuaquen.wordpress.com
    instagram.com/valeriebuaquen
    facebook.com/buaquen.valerie

1. helloconchita

January 28, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Thank you so much! I’ll respond to it shortly!

• Megan B

January 28, 2018 at 8:08 pm

If there’s one thing I don’t miss, it’s homework! I could’ve used this advice way back when though. I’ll translate it to my everyday work life 🙂 x

• Ithfifi

January 28, 2018 at 10:27 pm

Conchita you are so sweet! I wish I had had your blog to read whilst I was at school, these are some fabulous tips and I could have benefitted from them greatly! You are a fabulous role model 🙂

• Caroline

January 29, 2018 at 6:44 am

These are great tips to focus and get any kind of work done, even beyond homework, especially turning off your phone and putting it in another room. Great tips!

• Joanna

January 29, 2018 at 4:11 pm

There is actually a method of doing work (and homework) that ensured you maximize all your attention towards one thing only. This method gives you 20 minutes in which you don’t do anything else but work, and then you have a 10 minutes break when you can do whatever you want (check your phone, have a sandwich, etc). It’s been proven to raise the productivity and attention span as well.

1. helloconchita

January 29, 2018 at 4:14 pm

Oh thank you for this tip! I’ve heard of this before.

• Tiffany Meiter

January 29, 2018 at 6:36 pm

These are some great tips and be used for things other than school. I live by To Do lists! I feel like it keeps my head clear and focused to have it written down and not have to worry about remembering things. I also fully agree with doing the easy things first. I rather cross of as much as I can and then go back and finish up the hard stuff. I feel like it is less pressure to get things done that way,

• Rose

January 29, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Phone off! That should be the first one!! To concentrate properly all distractions need to be minimized. Easy tasks is a great thing to get out the way too.

• Kerri

January 29, 2018 at 6:47 pm

To do lists are your best friend!

• Ellen

January 29, 2018 at 6:54 pm

Awesome tips! I’ve been trying to avoid my phone while doing hw or studying but I never thought of pushing my phone far away from me. I’ll definitely do that next time!

• Indu

January 29, 2018 at 7:30 pm

You have suggested useful tips for students. These little things do help in concentrating on homework. I am sure following this routine will benefit students.

• Shell

January 29, 2018 at 8:22 pm

These are great tips for parents who have their children in school. I feel very blessed to be able to homeschool my child but so many of your tips work for us too 🙂

• Emily Leary

January 29, 2018 at 9:36 pm

My son has only just started with homework, really, but being organised and totally focussed during homework time has proved absolutely essential.

• Flavio

January 29, 2018 at 9:39 pm

These tips are very useful to me since I am in high school, I will definitely use them now!

• Ching

January 30, 2018 at 12:29 am

Great tips. Funny, when I was a kid, turn your phone off was never an issue! cellphones seem to be a large distraction even for adults!

• Elizabeth O

January 30, 2018 at 1:11 am

This was a very well thought out and useful post, for both children and parents alike. I like the idea to do the easiest thing first that is a really good tip! 🙂

• Karla

January 30, 2018 at 3:28 am

I like the idea of doing the easiest thing first. I also think that I’ll turn my phone off while helping my kids. That’s something I hadn’t thought of before.

• Nausheen

January 30, 2018 at 10:00 am

I completely agree with time management aspect….great tips to implement . Thanks for sharing 📚

• Ellie Plummer

January 30, 2018 at 4:04 pm

I bet this is really helpful for those who have homework or coursework to complete, thanks for sharing these tips.

• Shubhada Bhide

January 30, 2018 at 6:00 pm

These are some great tips for students. Turning the phone off is the best idea to avoid disturbing. I will show this to my niece.

• Becca Talbot

January 30, 2018 at 9:50 pm

It’s been a longgggg while since I’ve had to do homework – I didn’t even have a computer when I was at school and doing homework haha! I wish there had been more resources like this when I was at school x

• Christine Turner