Blog post

International Day 2018 + My Slam Poem Performance

April 8, 2018

International Day of 2018 at school passed. And what made it a little more important was that the Literature Magazine performed three slam poems that day! I was one of the team members who stood up to make a poem, which I am proud of doing. Funny story…I was going to quit like two days before because I just didn’t know where my poem was headed. It was messy and had no rhyme. But I followed through and did a lot of editing then a masterpiece (?) was birthed.

So, follow through with this post to read more about my poem!

Just a quick intro about the Literature Magazine…it is a group of creative people who compile the work of arts of students (that includes themselves) and publishes a book at the end of the school year. And to promote our book, we decided that showcasing the skills of the people within the Lit Mag group will be a way to inspire others to write as well.

International Day

International Day is a day at school where the different nationalities of students can be showcased. There’s food, performances, games, and many more goods that people can enjoy. Of course, it is a day to walk around and eat foods of different countries. But it’s the same with Indonesians…our food is just too good that we just want to eat whatever is on our own display. That we set up, cooked, and prepared.

The Indonesian stand is also one of the best stands and that is not a self-proclaimed thing. Look at us all matching with our clothes and taking pictures with each other. The dads and sons were nowhere to found…it was a women and girls only group picture. With an exception of our little brothers.

helloconchita conchita modest fashion hijab muslimah muslim girl

And here’s a family photo of the Isdiawans being silly…

helloconchita conchita modest fashion hijab muslimah muslim girl

The Day

Before getting into the poem, I just had to add a fun section to this post! Some of my friends and I gathered and took some great pictures of each other (it’s our thing now). And I wanted to share those pictures and also the traditional clothing that I was wearing!

And like every International Day, I get to meet one of my childhood best friends who I’ve known forever. It’s always something I look forward to when going to International Day because other than that, I barely meet her. I barely meet any of my Indonesian friends and that’s why when I do, I really cherish every moment with them.

helloconchita conchita modest fashion hijab muslimah muslim girl

The Poem

Proud by Conchita Isdiawan

i’m proud

proud of our indonesian community in oman

the growth of unity of the children, both young and old

i used to be the quiet child sitting in the corner eating alone

i used to be scared of the older ones who didn’t seem inviting

they told me smile conchita, smile wider conchita, brighter, talk louder, participate

why won’t you participate

great

it suddenly became my fault…but i was only the quiet child sitting in the corner…eating alone

but as i had grown i had a goal, a goal to not let any child in our community feel alone

i strive to bring happiness, a spread of ideas and creativeness between each other

a harmonious cluster of children

engage with everyone no matter how big or small

because in the end, they will thank you for it all

The Theme of the Poem

The theme of the poems was “who we are” or “what makes us who we are”, something along those lines. My two other friends took this opportunity to fight for a certain stereotype or backwards thought that is popular in their family/identity. But me? Knowing that I was going to perform in front of my parents, younger Indonesians and their parents, I didn’t want mine to be negative. In all the negativeness, I wanted to be the positive one.

“Proud” was a way of me trying to tell the younger Indonesian kids to be kind and to include everyone. It was an effort to tell the world about but in one minute. As you all know, in my post on How to Be A Good Role Model for Future Generations, I express my feelings and thoughts about the kids that are entering their teen years. So read that post to learn more about my experience and thoughts!

I urge the kids to grow into teenagers who care and love the younger ones so that a cycle of being hurt and hurting others won’t continue. Also in my poem, I talk about how I don’t want the kids that are “shy” to be blamed for their shyness. That it is not their fault. It’s just that the people who can talk, should use their voice and confidence to go up to those kinds of kids and try to include them.

I talk about how I used to be shy and quiet, none of the Indonesian girls would include me. But I didn’t take revenge for that pain by hurting the Indonesian kids of today. I used that pain as a lesson and learned that if this is how it feels to be alone, lost, and sorry for myself, I hope no one else has to feel that way. Especially at a young age.

And it being one of my last years in my high school career, it was a special poem for me to perform. I hope when I leave to university, that the great and welcoming chemistry that the Indonesian children have stays for a long time.

helloconchita conchita modest fashion hijab muslimah muslim girl

23 Comments

• Shruti Jha

April 8, 2018 at 4:58 pm

This post reminded me of my school. We had International Cultural Day every year, and I loved participating in it. Thank you so much for writing this 🙂

• Omeh

April 8, 2018 at 5:55 pm

Lovely poem composed by a lovely Lady so cool and nice thanks.

• Michelle Leslie

April 10, 2018 at 9:30 am

It looks like you all had so much fun and I loved your poem and the meaning behind it. It’s wonderful to embrace your own unique culture and celebrate that specialness

• Daria

April 10, 2018 at 11:54 am

Beautiful poem, also it is nice to learn about other cultures. Very educational.

• Karolina

April 10, 2018 at 12:13 pm

International days at schools are so much fun! It’s so cool if you have your national costume:D
    and your poem – do you do it often? Write poetry? 🙂

• Elizabeth O

April 10, 2018 at 6:13 pm

It looks like you had a fun time celebrating international day and getting to see your best friend too. Your poem is also very beautifully written. Well done.

• Ithfifi

April 10, 2018 at 7:05 pm

It looks like you had a fantastic time, its nice to see pictures of you having fun with your friend! What a cool occassion. Your poem is also really beautiful, very heartfelt and so meaningful. I really enjoyed reading it!

• Tanvi Rastogi

April 10, 2018 at 11:37 pm

Looked like so much fun … your joy shines through your pictures and smile. I enjoyed your post.

❥ tanvii.com

• Preet

April 11, 2018 at 12:10 am

It looks like so much fun and excitement. The poem is so beautiful as is the meaning behind it. The pictures look so good, great to see all the outfits, they look amazing.

• Ashley

April 11, 2018 at 12:38 am

Oh wow, just had international day at my church this past weekend. It looks like you all had a wonderful time! I really enjoyed your poem as well… you’re talented!!

• Terry A Sprunger

April 11, 2018 at 4:43 am

I loved that an event like this is combined with creativity and art (the poem). Inspiring read. thanks for sharing!

• Agnes Vazhure

April 11, 2018 at 5:09 am

It seems that you really enjoy your poem performance. International Day School is really fun and enjoyable. I really miss my school day before.

• Amanda

April 11, 2018 at 5:45 am

Your poem is fantastic! I also love the idea of International day! What an awesome way to celebrate cultures. I love the way your event turned out!

• Samantha

April 11, 2018 at 8:59 am

It sounds like you had a great day. That’s great that you got to see some of your friends. I’m glad you went through with reading your poem. It’s really good!

• Angela Ricardo Bethea

April 11, 2018 at 12:40 pm

It seems that you really had a fun and exciting poem performance in International Day. I really miss my high school day before. You are so talented! Good job!

• kumamonjeng

April 11, 2018 at 1:37 pm

I love how you are so comfortable and confident when reciting the poem on stage. Great job! I also love the Kalimantan or Indonesian traditional costume!

• Kristi Ann

April 11, 2018 at 4:53 pm

I really enjoyed the poem. I think it’s great to inspire people to be who they really are!

• Monique Elise

April 11, 2018 at 5:57 pm

I’m so glad that you were able to power through and finish your poem! You did an amazing job!

• Khushboo

April 11, 2018 at 9:44 pm

International day is such a fun concept. You get to dress up as well as learn about the rich culture of different countries. You and your friends look amazing 🙂

• NAti

April 13, 2018 at 12:48 pm

That looks like a really lovely celebration! kudos on your poem, it’s really difficult to write a poem and even more so in English.

• Taslyn Russell

April 13, 2018 at 7:25 pm

It looks like you had so much fun loving all the bright colourful patterns in your outfits.

• Emily Fata, www.EmulatingEmily.com

April 15, 2018 at 10:15 pm

Wow, this must have been such an incredible experience! And your poem was just phenomenal!

• Daniel

April 15, 2018 at 10:36 pm

Looks like you all had fun.